There’s a lot of bad advertising, especially in the consumer tech world. Here’s some tell tale signs of bad marketing:
- Insinuating that users of other products are idiots, especially if it’s a wildly popular product
- Naming your competition, especially with model numbers
- Doctoring or otherwise faking it to make competition look worse and your product look better
- Flashing fine print that negates important visuals
- Implying magical powers are bestowed upon all users of your product
Samsung and Microsoft are two companies often guilty of most of those.
A normal Samsung phone commercial will combine all of them – a bunch of idiots with iPhones waiting in line, a quick chart showing iPhone specs, screen images simulated in fine print while bragging about their screen, and a user turning into a superhero because of this product.